Thursday, November 7, 2013

Joy Johnson

I didn't know Joy Johnson, but I wish I would have trotted a few steps with her. Today's Star Tribune features a front page story about Joy. She is the 86 year old marathon runner who passed this week after the New York City Marathon. She started running in her mid 50's; which is unusual but not unheard of; the stunner is that she ran her last marathon on Monday at age 86. She had recently talked of cutting back to half marathons! The story tells of her passion, joy and great smile in life.
This morning I pushed myself through a particularly difficult workout. My negative Nelly mindset got a hold of me as I looked around the gym and realized I was the oldest person there, probably by a good 10 years. I wondered why do I do this? It is early and fighting an aging body is a constant battle; the pounds appear and seem to be more stubborn than ever about going away. After the workout I grabbed the paper and found Joy. She inspired me that I am not too old. I am now the age she probably was when she started running. She can be an inspiration to many of us. My excuse of being too old doesn't wash with her.
Guess I will continue to lace up the running shoes and keep pushing through. If I could have run a few steps with Joy I would tell her thanks. Thanks for being an inspiration; she told others running made her feel good about life. We should all be so lucky to find something that makes us feel good about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Just Don't Know What to Do! Written December 8th 2020- Posted When the sun is shining and Hope is in the air.

 When this pandemic started I thought, I got this! I can do this. We all did. We didn't think it would reach us. As the weeks and months...