Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thanks For Paving the Way

The coffee ran out at an early morning training session I attended yesterday. When they finally brought a new pot no one got up to freshen their cup; though many had gone to the empty pot to try to refill. I finally decided I really needed another cup. When I was returning to my seat several other people got up to fill theirs. One woman whispered to me "Thanks for paving the way". Really, I that wasn't my intention, I just really needed another cup of coffee.
But this got me to thinking about the people who have paved the way for us in life. From Joan of Arc who was a fierce fighter centuries ago to women who fought to allow women to vote and Sally Ride the first American woman in space. The contributions these women made shape our world today.
There is a group of women in Saudi Arabia today that are fighting for the right to allow women to drive in that country. This fight is not new; in 1991 the activists began driving in protest. Some were arrested, some have had their lives destroyed because of their fight. It is hard to believe in our modern society people (women) have to fight for this simple right.
I believe someday they will win this battle; but for now I am glad they are paving the way for generations to come. I will forever be grateful for the women who marched for the right to vote. It is hard to believe people don't take advantage of this privilege when others fought so hard to make it happen! I am glad they paved the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Just Don't Know What to Do! Written December 8th 2020- Posted When the sun is shining and Hope is in the air.

 When this pandemic started I thought, I got this! I can do this. We all did. We didn't think it would reach us. As the weeks and months...