Thursday, September 20, 2018

That's a Wrap on 58 Years


This is the last day of my 58th year. As years go, this was a good one. I feel like they are all good from here on out. I know I will face some sad or what I want to call bad days in the years to come. It is hard for me to imagine it as all bad. Even in the very tough years, the years of my first marriage, my divorce, losing my dad and then Mark’s dad three months later, all very difficult times. But there was also joy. My children were born, raised and became responsible adults. I was even blessed with four bonus kids that are delightful as well.  I have been lucky to have lived in several places. I have had the pleasure of making new friends along the way. I have met many interesting people through the Churches I have attended, the neighborhoods I have lived in. Some of the years were filled with anger, regret, sadness and frankly crappy situations. I have been disappointed when not hired for positions I thought I would be good at, but always been fortunate to have a job. I have struggled with financial woes, but I have never gone hungry. I have been injured from running but never had any serious health issues. I have been lucky enough to travel around the US, to Europe several times and even China this last year.

When I need to find bad, I certainly can dig it up. The crime and homelessness in the city, the hate that seems to seep in everywhere. The struggles of the American farmer. The blaming and overwhelming sense of unhappiness in our political mess. I could go on, but there is no point in that.

My Mom celebrated her 82nd birthday earlier this week. One of our sons will celebrate his 31st birthday in a few days. We are awaiting the arrival of our 17th grandchild in the spring. I am lucky enough to have a partner who snores quietly at night. We don’t always see eye to eye on everything, but he is my rock. He always brings me back to center. I talk to or text with one or more of the 7 kids every day. I might have the cutest bunch of grandkids anywhere. This is the good stuff; this is where I can find the joy in life.

It’s been a pretty good year. I will enjoy today, I will spend my last day at 58 volunteering at a Women Build site for Habitat for Humanity. God willing my 59th year will be another filled with simple joy, some traveling and many adventurous days.

I have been blessed. I wish you joy, peace and love every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Just Don't Know What to Do! Written December 8th 2020- Posted When the sun is shining and Hope is in the air.

 When this pandemic started I thought, I got this! I can do this. We all did. We didn't think it would reach us. As the weeks and months...