Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Do the Hard Things- Make a List


We can do hard things. Today getting out of bed felt like a hard thing to do.
It really wasn’t. My legs worked just fine, my back and arms propelled me right out of bed. The hard part was in my mind. It’s the Tuesday after Labor Day and I would prefer to sleep. But I won’t, I have a day and evening full of meetings, projects that need to be taken care of and life. I have a run that should be done. But my mind would like to take the easy route. Drink coffee, surf the net, play a game of solitaire, yes that is a thing, I play one game every morning as I drink my coffee.

Sometimes I have to trick my mind into getting things done. Get out of bed. Move forward with the day, I have to lay out my running clothes so I will slip into them in the morning. Bargain with myself on a project, if I do the hard thing, I can play, or sit to read.

So many dreams are left undone because we think they are too hard. The list of to do’s are long. It’s easier to tick off the simplest things. Admittedly I even put things on the list that I completed earlier because I need the feeling of accomplishment to move me forward.

I go way back as a list maker, I am not sure if I started it in High School, certainly shortly after. I keep a list to stay on task, so I don’t forget the little things that need to be done. I keep a list because it keeps me moving forward with tasks. I even put the fun stuff on my list. I guess I just like a good list. These days I use my IPad and my Apple pencil to make the list.

I really make the list because I need to do the hard stuff. Within my list I label the to do’s as ABC items. A’s must be done today; B’s should be done today. C’s are just things I would like to get to this week. If I have time to tick one off each day, great.

The A’s are usually the hard stuff. We can do hard things, get them on the A list and get them done. Go make your list. BTW, last thing on the list...make tomorrow’s list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Just Don't Know What to Do! Written December 8th 2020- Posted When the sun is shining and Hope is in the air.

 When this pandemic started I thought, I got this! I can do this. We all did. We didn't think it would reach us. As the weeks and months...