Saturday, September 29, 2018

Week One of Fifty-two Weeks of Adventure


As I started this week I declared I would find some adventure or discovery, some ah-ha moment each week. This week I expected to find it in Washington DC when I was there for work, somewhere around the beauty of the National monuments or on the National Mall. I did not find it the once again closed Washington Monument, at the Lincoln Monument, or at the National Mall. Instead as I waited for my hotel room to be cleaned I wandered around the neighborhood. As I walked by a protest, and some construction I could see the park in front of the White House, and just across the street on a small corner lot sat a small very old looking Church. The sign out front announced the service that started five minutes ago. I find a seat, not hard considering there were four other people there including the pastor. I learn from the brochure this is St. John’s Church, Lafayette Square, known as “The Church of the Presidents” because beginning with James Madison, every person who has held the office of President of the US has attended a service at the church.

As I listened and observed I thought of the men who have “run” our country and their thoughts as they sat in this same room. What did Abraham Lincoln think about? Did Theodore Roosevelt ponder the state of the country here? Were they here because they were told everyone else was or did George H Bush, Clinton, Reagan and the rest come here to worship? Were they humble, open minded? Did they pray for peace for this nation? Democrats and Republicans, some powerful in their position, some weak all sat in this room at one time over the years.

I am sure without a doubt that all of these men were facing trials; some of them with personal hidden demons. I couldn’t help but think of the quiet inside of this old church and the chaos that was boiling throughout the city and country. It was a respite among the storm.

This adventure reminds me of the need for civility and peace. That is my wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Just Don't Know What to Do! Written December 8th 2020- Posted When the sun is shining and Hope is in the air.

 When this pandemic started I thought, I got this! I can do this. We all did. We didn't think it would reach us. As the weeks and months...