Thursday, March 1, 2018

Never to Old for a New friend!

Sometimes in life you are lucky enough to meet the right person at the right time, yesterday was one of those days.

I had been tasked with having a conversation about an unpleasant situation. With a bit of dread and some determination I finally reached a point where I had to deal with the alleged problem. I was sure the outcome would be fine, but it was one of those times that the idea of dealing with that conversation was intimidating.

I faced the issue marching down the hall to talk to a woman that I had met in passing. As I knocked on her door I took a deep breath. As she opened the door her smile let me know I was welcome. The conversation was just lovely. She instantly made me feel at home, voiced her concerns, listened as I spoke and then it happened. I had a new friend!

With each story we shared we leaned into the conversation a bit more. She gazed out her window answering questions, telling of her love of a city in Mexico, this city, family, friends and neighbors. At one point she said proudly, "I am 90, for Christ's sake". She told me of her husband that she lost 30 years ago and misses everyday, the thought of him bringing an even larger grin, he made her laugh and still makes her smile.

She is very active, still painting, still walking down Nicollet Mall, a regular at Orchestra Hall, Target and Walgreen's.

The story I have linked is from last summer. She is one of the most lovely ladies I have ever met. If you have 4 minutes, take the time to watch this video. It will be worth it. There was also an article about her in a past Star Tribune. Nancy reminds me of a good old friend who values nature and every day, Yvette Johnson. It is so wonderful to have these kind of people in life.

Today I am thankful for all of my good friends!

Yesterday afternoon Nancy reminded me to put anger aside, don't let people get to you. Contemplate and reflect, hold your tongue and have some compassion. When it is time don't give in, learn to compromise. Life is too short to carry a chip on your shoulder. Lots of wisdom in that lovely lady. I will carry that with me today, and be reminded of it every day as I walk by that door down the hall.

As always I wish you peace!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1dvy0dIwag&t=10s 

1 comment:

I Just Don't Know What to Do! Written December 8th 2020- Posted When the sun is shining and Hope is in the air.

 When this pandemic started I thought, I got this! I can do this. We all did. We didn't think it would reach us. As the weeks and months...